Tuesday, November 1, 2011

So Much to Blog About!

Well, I have so much to tell about our week at the beach that I don't even know where to start!

It has been a long time since I've seen the ocean. But it is still big, blue and beautiful. The ocean is still hypnotic and mesmerizing. Beautiful and terrifying. Sitting on the sand, staring out at the endless horizon, thinking about how much water there is. How there are entire mountain ranges in the ocean that are bigger than any of the mountains on the land. When you picture how big that ocean is on the globe...and how little you are by comparison...well, it just makes me think about the bigger picture. Life is a lot like the ocean, ya know? It's not about one little wave or one little seashell or a handful of sand. That's not what makes the ocean. Life is so much more. Each little moment comes and goes, shaping us, molding us. The years pass like the tides and shape us and the waves shape the shore.

See, the ocean makes me all allegoric and metaphoric...I wax all poetic when I look at the ocean!

For nearly a week, the ocean was the second thing I got to see every morning upon waking. The first thing, as always, was Evie. My little alarm clock did not let a pack-n-play stand in the way of her waking me up. Nope. She discovered that with a little heft and little heave she could hoist herself out of that pink-and-brown stuffed-animal-filled prison and roam the house, whispering "Mommy...Mommy....HELP!" until I tracked her down. The first day she did it scared the crap out of me.

But after finding Evie, we always went and looked out off the balcony at the ocean. Dark and never-resting on the sand. I tried really hard to get to watch the sun come up, since I was up BEFORE it every morning. But I wasn't quite successful. Toddlers are really good at keeping you busy in the a.m. hours. My eight-month-old did a good job as well.

Our days stayed pretty busy. Keeping up with three from the car seat crowd burns some calories! Between diaper changes, bottles, snacks, diaper changes, sippy cups, meals, naps, more bottles and snacks, clothing changes, more diaper changes, baths, more bottles and bed times...shoo, I'm wore out just REMEMBERING how wore out we were.

I had honestly forgotten about that phase that babies go through right after they start walking where they are into EVERYTHING and won't listen. They're tearing into boxes, rearranging kitchen chairs, pulling books off shelves and climbing bookcases and hiding the remote. I guess I blocked it out. Even in a "child-proofed" house it's a tough phase because they are really, really testing their limits. Wanting to see what happens when they pick up the book end and throw it for the 18th time. It's not like the terrible two's, when they're asserting independence and individuality by intentionally doing things they aren't supposed to. Nope, this phase of toddling is just about curiosity and cause and effect. They want to know all about this great big world they have access to. So they climb, pull, tear, rearrange...just whatever it takes. That's the phase my nephew is in right now. And it keeps you on your toes CONSTANTLY. It was exhausting. But a lot of fun.

It was definitely a great reminder for what I am in for in a couple more months with Elly.

In addition to just maintaining the three kiddos, we did plenty of sight-seeing and went to the ocean a few times.

We took a trip to the boardwalk, went to Broadway at the Beach and had a big shopping trip to the outlet mall. We also spent a morning at Ripley's Aquarium, which was AWESOME. Went out to eat a couple of times. Had some really delicious meals cooked in the condo. Ate a great pizza.

Evie got a new Minnie Mouse from the Disney Store. Elly acquired a Winnie the Pooh. Now I am intent on getting the girls all of the Disney Pooh plush characters. I think they will be super cute in the play room, which is already pooh themed. I can just picture all the characters lined up on a big toy box in there next year, when Evie and Elly are bunking together in what is currently Evie's room. So, we went ahead and got Piglet for the girls to share. Plus went back later and got Eeyore and Tigger for the girls for Christmas.

We also went to the Carter's Outlet store. Which was AWESOME. I love Carter's. I wish we had a Carter's outlet store nearby, but it's probably best that we don't. I found matching Christmas dresses for the girls. Also got them each an outfit and Evie another shirt.

The Rack Room shoes store had the light up Sketchers that I have been wanting to get Evie for only $15! So she got some new shoes. Her very first pair of lace up shoes. I guess that's kinda goofy considering she's two. But generally I prefer to deal with minimum effort when trying to get Evie dressed and out the door. Especially since most of the last two years have been spent pregnant or dealing with a new baby.

We even went by a Wings and got everyone a nice touristy t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment