Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Life is like a box of chinese food

No really. I've decided. It's just like a Dinner Special #1 with an egg roll.

Since I'm sure you don't have the local Chinese menu memorized, like I do, let me tell you what a #1 is. It's Sesame Chicken and pork fried rice with choice of egg roll or cheese wonton. It was one of my favorite meals when I was pregnant and I probably ate it two or three times a month when I was at work. One of the best parts is that the meal is so big that even preggo me couldn't finish it and there was always enough left over for my hubby to have a meal.

The typical "I need to lose 30 lbs yesterday" diet doesn't encourage you to eat Chinese food. In fact, I haven't eaten Chinese since I was pregnant. And last night I simply couldn't bring myself to "eat" the SlimFast shake that I'd brought to work. I tried to convince myself. Tried REALLY hard. I promise. But I couldn't do it.

So at 6:30 I broke down and called in an order. My usual #1 with an egg roll. I thought the restaurant smelled incredibly delicious when I pulled up to pick up my order. I was so excited! The anticipation was palpable. I could practically taste the egg roll. It was going to be so tasty! Well worth the extra calories.

I paid for my order. Returned to work. Got out my chopsticks and ate a bite of chicken.

Egag!

Hmm. What on earth?

Tried a bite of egg roll.

Ick

The food that I was looking so forward to was barely edible! What was wrong? It looked and smelled fine. But it was so greasy! And the few bites I was able to eat felt so heavy in my stomach. I put the lid back on, slid it into the bag and let Josh know he would have plenty of Chinese for supper.

I don't think anything was wrong with the food itself. Josh said it was delicious and had zero problems eating all that I didn't. I think it had been so long since I'd cheated on my diet that my stomach just really couldn't handle all that deep-fried and greasy food.

To make it worse, I had been so excited about eating Chinese that I'd really built it up in my head beyond any reasonable expectation. And as a result the let down was hard. I could have cried I was so disappointed! And all over some stupid Chinese food.

I think I do that sort of thing a lot though. I set my expectations too high. And as a result I'm disappointed. With Chinese food, with my dieting, with my husband and children, with work. I expect myself to lose this baby weight so fast and as a result I get so frustrated and fed up with the slow-but-steady results. I expect my husband to read my mind and know that what he's doing is aggravating me, or more often what he's not doing is aggravating me, but I don't ASK him to do something. I just get mad. I expect my children to know that I have a headache and act accordingly or know that I had a bad day and be darling cherubs. Of course I'm going to be disappointed!

So now that I know I'm doing this, I wonder if I'll be able to change it? If I can I think I would be a much happier camper. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment