Tuesday, April 12, 2011

We've survived!

I hate to be overly enthusiastic...

This early into the game...it could jinx us. But...two months down. We've made it this far. I remember the first two months being the hardest with Evie. Though of course it was a cake walk compared to the two months with Elly. From that point on, baby's immune system improves dramatically, baby starts being awake more during the day, sleeping better at night, holding her head up well and just generally becoming easier to take care of. Two more months and we'll be starting cereal and solids and baby will be more like a person than a high-maintenance time-suck.

So we went to Elly's two month check-up today. She laughed and smiled while we waited for the doctor to come check her. I undressed her per the nurse's instructions. We walked around the room looking at the art work and "talking."

She loved the art work. She stared at this one painting and wouldn't look at me...



No matter how many times I cooed and said her name.


She was in love. Completely and utterly in love. 


Nothing would draw her away from this picture. And being a little person barely experienced in this world she couldn't be getting more from the picture than just being awed by the colors. Though it's a neat picture of a construction site with lots of labeling and little interesting people.

She stared at it from the time I got her clothes back on her after the doctor left us until the nurse came to give her the injections. 

While we waited for the doctor I marveled at how much different she is from Evie. It's amazing how much difference there can be in two personalities. I can't wait to see how much different and alike they are when they're older and really have their "own" personality. When Evie was a baby she was either crying or she wasn't. There weren't a lot of "noises" in between. She did the "ah-goo" type stuff eventually but nothing like what Elly does. Elly talks all the time. Grunts and coos and makes little "ah" and "ooh" and "eww" noises. I've even heard some consonant type noises. Her smile is just adorable and the rare laughs I can get from her are just too precious. 

I also marveled at how much simpler going to the doctor was with just one baby. Especially when that baby wasn't sick.

The doctor said she had "perfect skin" and looked "great." Her weight is in the 94 percentile and her height is 66 percentile. She's growing great and is doing really well. I asked the doctor about Elly's tongue, which seems really short. My husband was born "tongue-tied" and it's something that I've worried about one of our children having. He had a procedure done at 18 months old to actually snip the membrane under his tongue slightly making it easier for him to talk. The doctor said that she does seem to be a little tongue-tied and its something else we will have to monitor. *sigh* So now we're monitoring a large hemangioma on Elly's forehead and a membrane under her tongue. The doctor said many children are able to stretch the membrane out on their own without any procedure.

Which is good. Because I don't like hospitals. And I don't ever want to need to take one of my babies back to one.


 I don't want to see this again...and I hope you understand why. This...is heartbreaking.

I want to see more of this...



And this...



I love sleeping babies. They warm the cockles of my heart. :-) As do baby feet. 



Like these. I could just kiss them. And I do

But back to our doctor's appointment. All in all the doctor deemed her to be in excellent health. Told me to keep up the good work and that she'd see me in a couple of months. Then we had to wait for the nurse to come with the shots. Which SUCKED. Poor little Elly. It's hard to grasp what a baby's impression of their first real physical pain is. I mean, shots HURT. Really hurt. And this is the first time a baby has experienced anything like that. Elly didn't just scream. She wailed. And yelled. And cried. And pulled my hair. I'm not sure but I think the last was intentional. If it wasn't she made it look pretty intentional. 


But she survived. And we dried off her face and put her little pants back on. She cried a little more. I gave her the paci back and put her in her car seat. About 30 seconds later she was asleep. 

Leaving the doctor's office I was still elated that we had all made it to this important milestone. Maybe we can survive this after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment