Wednesday, April 27, 2011

When our children surprise us

Before Elly was born I was afraid of how Evie would change when she was no longer an only child. I worried that she would be jealous. Regress. Become mean or lash out. I tried to prepare myself for a less-lovable Evie. I fretted over whether or not the negative changes would be long-term.

Shame on me for never even considering that Evie could mature a bit and become even sweeter and more affectionate than before.






Shame. On. Me.

Well, I have learned. Evie has adapted and overcome any odds and is just loving life as a big sister. Her latest accomplishment: feeding Elly a bottle. I wish I was able to get a better picture but I have to help hold the little baby while making sure that the big baby isn't shoving the bottle down her throat.

 Evie is just the sweetest big sister.

This morning I marveled as Evie brought Elly some baby toys from her room after I commented that "Sissy seems bored." Evie even put them in Elly's hand and showed her how to shake the rattle and tried to help her chew on a teething toy.





Elly just smiled and cooed and giggled. Doing the happy baby leg kick the whole time. It was adorable. That lil girl ADORES her big sister. It melts my heart to see the way she watches Evie.



Of course for Elly there has never been life without Evie. I don't know if Evie remembers a life without Elly or not. If she does, she won't by the time Elly is up walking and talking. Since Evie is virtually always with Elly, more so than anyone else in her life, Elly is unbelievably attached and devoted to her big sister. 




Although Evie has her less than altruistic moments (don't we all?), she seems to by-and-large feel the same for Elly. She frets when we leave Sissy with Daddy or Mimi. Or whenever the two of them are separated.

I had hoped and prayed that one day, when Evie and Elly were older, they would develop a closeness and a bond that I always wanted when I was a little girl. I imagine sisters to share a connection that no other relationship can rival for the rest of their lives and when I was young I had always wanted a sister. I had hoped that this bond would be forged once they were older and able to share activities and hobbies. To my surprise they seem to already share a close relationship. I am overjoyed. Shocked. Amazed. And incredibly happy about it.

Isn't it funny when our children surprise us? This is the kind of surprise I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment