Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Life goes on

No matter how old I get it is still a rude reminder that life isn't fair.

And no matter how many candles are on my next birthday cake, it is still hard to resist that inner toddler that wants to throw a fit and be upset.

But as adults we are of course expected to grin and bear it. Take a deep breath and move it. Put on your big girl panties, so to speak, and just hang in there like a hair in a biscuit. Was that a yummy mental picture or what?

When a friend lets you down. When someone stands you up. When you get passed over for an award. Or maybe your spouse forgets your birthday. Or your dog throws up in your favorite sneakers. Your neighbors park blocking your drive, again. And the cat from across the street has brought you yet another dead bird and left it on your porch. Then of course your kid brings home an F and your preschooler has completely forgotten that she's potty trained.

Life likes to throw us lemons. And it's hard to think of those lemons as learning moments. But that is what they are. Learning moments.

I keep telling myself over and over. When I feel like I'm going to explode, start tearing my hair out and scream like a banshee...this is a learning moment. This. Is. A. Learning. Moment. *deep breath* This. Is. A. Learning. Moment.

The terrible two's are...well...terrible. Being a parent is hard. And working around my husband's difficult (at best) schedule is a challenge in itself. Working full-time adds a whole different sort of monkey to the barrel. Compound that with mildly OCD tendencies towards house work and an inability to cut myself a break on ANYTHING and...well...this barrel is chocked full of uncooperative monkeys believe me. And sometimes it just feels like there is no end to the let downs. The disappointments. The "wish I had"'s and "I can't believe they did"'s. Sometimes the bitter taste of the way things SHOULD be, yet aren't, is so strong it just chokes. And crying about it stopped helping decades ago.

Life is full of disappointments. Whenever God closes a door, he opens a window. I just need to keep my eyes open. I try to remember to be hopeful. And remember that everything happens for a reason.

Like that Anna Nalick song from back when..."Well, you can't jump the track we're like cars on the cable, and Life's like an hour glass, glued to the table. No one can find the rewind button, boys. Say it if you understand. And breathe. Just breathe. Oh, breathe. Just breathe."

It's true. Sometimes breathing is all you can do.

I am going to try to eliminate some of the seriously unnecessary drama from my life. So, drama-inducing people, consider yourselves warned! People who do more harm than good gotta go as well. That includes those who are two-faced or barely there.

I am going to try to remember that my challenges are opportunities for growth and a chance for me to become a better person. It is only through adversity that we realize our greater potential and are able to evolve. And whether that challenge is heartbreak, disappointment, failure or difficult times, life manages to go on and we must all muddle through some how.

I mean what's the alternative, really?

So, here's to chins up and eyes clear. And let's toast one for tomorrows, best wishes and fond adieus.

3 comments:

  1. I sometimes wish I had Tourette syndrome. I would get into less trouble and have an excuse for cussing!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Geni!!! In the years that I have known you, I have learned many things. #1 - You are a GREAT person and friend!!! #2 - When you are devoted to something - you give it 100 percent. #3 - You are an AWESOME mommy!!! I love reading your blogs, posts, seeing the pic's and video's of the girls and hearing about their antics...especially Evie's take on life!!! Soon we will be hearing more about Elly and what she thinks of this big ole world as she starts talking!! These are just 3 things...there are many more. Keep your chin up and keep on keeping on!!! There are many disapointments in life but it is how you handle them that defines who you are!!! You will be in my prayers!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sharon! And Chris, that is too funny! lol.

    ReplyDelete