Tuesday, May 10, 2011

UPDATE: Duck Grows More

So I've really wanted to blog about Evie and the cows on Sunday. But unfortunately, I didn't send the pictures to myself so that I could use them. So I will try to get around to that tonight and you'll get to hear all about Evie and the cows tomorrow. It's adorable. I promise.

In the meantime, an update!

Well, turns out that Duck is a girl. Yep. She's a hen. Or, at least, we're pretty sure she's a hen. There's a chance she might be a late blooming rooster, but at this point, the odds are against it. While it kind of blows my mind how much these chickens have changed, Evie still recognizes little Duck. It apparently doesn't phase her that her chick is trapped in that unbelievably ugly adolescent phase.


I loved watching Evie shriek and point at the chickens this morning when I walked around to see them. She was so excited to pet Duck, who didn't seem to mind being picked up by Mimi and patted by Evie.


I know these pictures are kind of hard to see. Stupid chicken wire. And with my phone its impossible to force it to focus on something else.  But this is Duck and her brother/cousin/unrelated rooster. He has a little waddle and his comb is much bigger than the other two. So we're fairly sure he's a he.


Also interesting, when we got these chickens, they were all the same size and approximately the same age. We got 6 and 3 of them have turned out to be giant chickens while the other 3 are going to be medium sized chickens. The little ones are about half the size of the big ones. And they will literally climb on top of the big ones to eat or drink. It's kind of entertaining. If you're into watching chickens. 


So far the Evie-Chicken project is a total success. Six chicks have survived to adolescence. Soon they will be adults (and hopefully prettier) and they'll be moved to their big lot so they can scratch in the dirt and eat bugs and do other chicken things. Then, maybe I can get some half decent pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment