Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not a Typical Tuesday

I'm working a bit different of schedule this week which is not fun as far as getting up early. But it is nice that I will be off work on Friday. And then I've already taken next Monday off to recover from the busy birthday weekend and enjoy a whole day with just little Elly (Evie is going to stay Sunday night with her grandparents) to sorta celebrate her day.

Cannot believe that in just 7 days my baby will be one!

I just cannot believe it. I wonder at times if she were really walking if that would make her feel older? Evie by this age was pretty much running everywhere. She was starting to climb already and chasing the dog around the yard. She FELT like a toddler. Watching her wasn't watching a baby anymore. But Elly still chooses to crawl. I swear I think she CAN walk. I just haven't found the right motivator for her yet. Maybe cheese puffs...hmm, need to investigate that further.

The whole new puppy thing is going so well.


The puppy pad form of potty training is SO much easier than all the puppy house training that I have ever done before. I don't know why I have never been taught this. Plus, it's so much healthier for the dog. Since puppies are so susceptible to Parvo and Distemper and even when they have been vaccinated they have the chance of being exposed to a strain that they weren't vaccinated against. Parvo is much like the flu in that there are several different versions out there. Also Parvo can live in the ground for about 5 years. So there is always a chance that a sick dog has been on your property even if your dogs have always been healthy. So not taking Maiko outside means no chance for her to get sick.

I know they say that parents always think their children are smart or pretty or funny or what have you. And I know that a lot of people have the same feelings for their dog. But I don't think I have ever thought that Mushu or Emily (our beagle which resides outdoors) was that smart. Mushu isn't a moron...not all the time. But I would certainly never accuse him of being overly smart. I mean, the dog attacks trash cans. And freaks out over doorbells ringing on TV. And cries when he hears the Darth Vader music. Seriously. CRIES. And Emily...well, she's a hound dog. You have to really lower your expectations.

But Maiko seems to be pretty smart. She grasps that to get out of her play pen she needs to go potty. And she only pottys on the puppy pad in her play pen so far. She has had a few accidents on the floor when I wasn't paying close attention. But I consider that more my fault than hers. I mean, she's a baby. She is also already learning the way our schedule works. And knows that when I turn on her heating pad in her box that it is bed time. And I just cannot believe that she prefers to pee on the pad rather than anywhere else. She won't mess in her crate even! Just cries to get out. It's amazing. So I'm totally sold on puppy pads.

Another thing that makes this easier I think is the fact that I have now potty trained a person. And really, a puppy just doesn't compare. Once you have changed diapers for two years and taught a 2 year-old to go pee-pee and poop in the toilet...teaching a dog to pee on a pad in the floor is child's play. Pun not intended. I remember how frustrating it was in the past to try an house break a dog, but I'm just not experiencing any of that this time. And I know part of it is the different method, but part of it is definitely that I'm a much different person that I was the last time I had a puppy.

Speaking of which, Happy Birthday Mushu. I think this past weekend was his birthday. He is now three! Officially mature and no longer an adolescent! Go him. hehe. And he got a puppy for his birthday! What a lucky boy he is.

This is especially funny because Mushu is TERRIFIED of the puppy. He has spent the last four days skulking around the house with his tail tucked...trembling with terror. Yes that is right. My full grown dog is terrified of the puppy that doesn't even weight 2 lbs soaking wet. It is quite sad. Sooner or later I'm sure he'll get over it. Just a matter of him adjusting and getting used to the new dog.

It's going to be a busy week. Need to get taxes done. Need to get everything ready for Elly's party.

Blogs coming up this week: Update on my New Year's resolution and a couple of recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment