Thursday, January 19, 2012

Why I Clean

People are always complaining that I do too much. Well, maybe complaining is too strong of word. But you know what I mean. So many wonder why on Earth I spend so much time cleaning and cooking and tidying. I'm not OCD. At least not in the clinical sense, but I do consider cleanliness to be very important. And I'm not a germaphobe. Though after one of the girls is sick I do a more in-depth cleaning of the house to make sure that we aren't all passing it around. I do realize that being exposed to a certain amount of dirt and germs will make you healthier in the long-run.

I know that 15 years from now my children won't remember having a clean house the first five years of their lives. Or the fact that their sheets were changed every Thursday. Nor would I want them to. If they remember anything from their first five years of life I would like it to be our wild games of tag in the evenings after bath time. Or sharing a pop tart on the couch while snuggled under a blanket on Sunday mornings. Or staying up late on Fridays, stuffing our faces with popcorn and watching movies.

One reason I clean is because I just love cleaning. And I love the way a clean house makes me feel. 

I clean because the world is a dirty, ugly place. No, it's true. There is a lot of chaos and disorder. A lot of instability and a lot of unknowns.

When my children are home, I don't want them to feel disorganized. I want everything to have a place and be in it. I want their world to feel clean and comfy and right, at least within our own walls. And I want them to feel like they get a part in that. Like they have control over something. So they (well, right now only Evie) help clean. Just as my brother and I helped our mom clean when we were little.

Yes, I clean house every Thursday morning. I manage to get a whole lot of cleaning done in the three hours that I have before I get ready for work. From changing sheets, to dusting, to polishing the wood furniture and wiping down all the toys with a Clorox wipe, to seriously cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming the living room and running the Roomba and then Febreezing all the fabrics. And most Saturdays I mop the whole house.

I love the way clean floors feel under bare feet in the mornings. And I love the way the house smells when I come home. I like being able to sit in the living room floor without getting pop tart crumbs stuck to me. And walking down the hall without sticking to the floor is nice. I always look forward to the night I get to sleep on fresh sheets because I sleep SO good that night. Having everything orderly and clean makes it a joy to come home. Means I can just relax and savor some time with my children.

So that is why I clean.

1 comment:

  1. I personally think it's genetics and it skipped a couple of generations. LOL. Or maybe it was just spending time with Ma Mary when you were little. Even then you liked to take a rag and "clean." I can remember her polishing those hardwood floors and buffing them and putting clean, fresh coats of paint on her walls when she was younger and able. Some of that livs on in you. Cherish it.

    ReplyDelete