Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Me vs. SOPA

Oh my gosh I haven't blogged in 5 days. lol.

Sorry, I am getting to be so slack on the blog front. In my defense, I have been impressively busy.

And by busy I mean losing countless hours to Pinterest.

And when not on Pinterest...I am reading political propoganda.

And seriously considering relocating. To another country. Or maybe another planet.

People are impressively close-minded and I am repeatedly impressed by how many times someone can believe a flat out lie that the read off Facebook. I mean really. It's Facebook. Not CNN. Or NBC. Or even, God help us, Fox news. Heck, ESPN is a more respectable news source than Facebook. If that is the only place you go for your news then you might as well just be reading the funny pages and burning the rest of newspaper.

And I guess if this SOPA crap passes I'll be looking at some jail time for blogs like this. But really people. You complain about taxes, you don't vote but you complain about the president, and you get your news from the closet homo-phobe that lives in his mom's basement's Facebook status and you are SURPRISED that someone is trying to take away our First Amendment Rights?

Ugh.

But in all seriousness, I think my great grandparents and their parents would be ashamed by what our country has become. I'm ashamed. A lot of people have worked hard for this country. A lot have fought and died for this country and I feel like our political system these days is like spitting in their faces. The economy is bust and instead of everyone wanting to work harder and make sacrifices and fix it, everyone is standing around with their hands out waiting for the government to give them a check. Welfare, food stamps, unemployment...everyone is just working the system. There are some who legitimately need help and are doing the best they can. But there are so many people who just know how to work the system so they can sit on their ass and play video games while the rest of us break our backs supporting them. And then the politicians, who get elected not because they want to better their community or their state or their country, but because of the fat paycheck that comes with a lifetime membership to the moneybags club. Taxes are paying for far more than they ever should have. And the people who make our laws and manage our country are too busy lining their own pockets to give a damn about our empty stomachs or the future of our children.

It's a damn shame.

We're better than this. We were supposed to be better than this. And while everyone is happy to write a pissed off status message, or pound out a hateful blog, none of us individually really have the power to do anything and it doesn't feel like there will ever be enough people to care for us to change it.

And of course, if the SOPA bill makes it, that's the beginning of the end for all of us ever changing it. The First Amendment will be well on its way out the door and Big Brother will be live and in the flesh. And then I think I really will pack up my family and move to a foreign country. How much worse could Canada really be?

So, that it for my soap box for the day.

I take nearly a week break and I come back and blog this nonsense. Right? I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment