Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How 7-Up Biscuits Changed my life...

So I have recently come to two realizations...

First, you can apparently put some chicken breasts in the crock pot with anything and it turns out delicious. No really!

Second, adding some sort of sugary carbonated beverage to your baking recipes can create some pretty spectacular results.

So, I have been putting pretty much any and every sauce that I've come across into the crock pot with a half dozen chicken breasts and letting them cook all day. And the results have been phenomenal! I don't know why I didn't realize this was possible sooner. And now I've found a recipe for crock pot chicken Parmesan. And while I don't really LOVE Chicken Parmesan, I just love the idea of making it in the crock pot! How goofy am I? I know.

But buffalo chicken, BBQ chicken, Italian chicken, Hawaiian chicken...buy a sauce. Buy some chicken. Put them in a crock pot. Let simmer.

And have you ever heard of 7-Up biscuits? Well, they're apparently a big craze on Pinterest though I discovered them via a friend on Facebook. They are 7 Up, sour cream and Bisquick. It doesn't like it should be good. But it was!

Here's the recipe:

2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup 7-up
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 450.
Cut sour cream into biscuit mix, add 7-Up. Makes a very soft dough.
Sprinkle additional biscuit mix on board or table and pat dough out. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 9 inch square pan.  Place cut biscuits in pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
They are just divine! They don't taste weird, or different. They pretty much taste like biscuits. But they're so moist! I hate dry, crumby biscuits and these are just SO far from dry or crumby. They sort of melt in your mouth. And I've discovered you can exchange the sour cream with other similar ingredients and produce pretty tasty results. You can add yogurt for example. And you get a sweet biscuit. It's kind of neat!

This was actually the first time I've ever made biscuits from "scratch" and it was a pretty awesome experience. Cutting biscuits out with an upside down glass sifter like my mom did when we were little. Cause I do not own an ACTUAL biscuit cutter. In fact, I'm just kind of assuming that they make biscuit cutters. I don't know that I've seen one.

I've done plenty of cooking and plenty of baking and plenty of each "from scratch" but I've never made biscuits before. It was pretty neat. And the first time I've tried a recipe that had seriously weird ingredients (one of which I find GROSS. I cannot stand sour cream.) and just hoped that it turned out okay. And it did! It was a pretty neat experience. As was rolling out biscuit dough and cutting the biscuits.

So now I'm feeling like a total Betty Crocker. On our grocery trip I stocked up on baking goods and have been baking willy-nilly ever since...I fear that this development may have some really negative consequences for my waistline! haha. But it's been yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment