Thursday, May 10, 2012

Elly's First Procedure

It has been more than two weeks since I posted. I am so sorry! I don't really have any good excuse. But anytime I get busy or get other things on my mind, it is hard to focus long enough to compose a blog.

Elly had her first laser procedure last Friday. I was not the emotional wreck that I anticipated I would be. In fact, I managed not to cry the whole time. It was really hard watching them take my baby away, back into the hospital. My tiny, precious girl who never leaves me unless she is with my mom or husband. She has stayed for a few hours alone with my step dad. But he has never taken her out anywhere alone. She's my little home body. But I didn't want to upset her by sitting around the hospital bawling while we waited for the nurses to take her back. And I didn't want to cry when she left me, because that would make leaving me scary. So I took deep breaths and reminded myself that everything was going to be fine and said half a dozen prayers.

Luckily, the procedure took almost no time. My mother and I went back out into the waiting room and got settled. We each checked email and Facebook on our phones. By the time we got bored with that and had each gotten out a book, the nurse was calling my name over the intercom. The walk to pick up the phone to talk to the doctor was scary, I have to say. That was the "Dear God, please let her be okay. Let her be fine. Please," moment of terror. It had gone so quickly that I couldn't believe that they were already done. I was terrified that something had gone wrong! But nope. She was fine. Doctor gave me a brief run down of how things went, what to do over the next couple of weeks and reminded me that his office would call me to set up the next appointment. Two hours after arriving at the hospital we were on our way home.

Her next procedure is in mid-June. Her eye doctors appointment is a few weeks away as well. The possibility of something being wrong with her eye is a little scary. But the fact that she's had no developmental delays or problems leads me to believe that she is probably fine. Still since the doctor recommended we get her checked, we are DEFINITELY getting her checked. With almost any medical issue, early treatment is key. So "let's wait and see" just won't cut it. Especially not with something so vital as eyes.

We will have at least 2 more trips to the hospital for laser procedures. Then one more follow up to see how the whole area has healed. Then hopefully we will be done and Elly will be free of this whole thing without even a memory of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment