Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas 2010 - A Review


Well, after the months of anticipation (I started Christmas shopping wayyy before Thanksgiving) I feel like it was all over too quickly. And the one word to describe it all -- exhausting. But it was incredibly wonderful! At times, trying to get Evie through the holiday was a little more work than I had anticipated, but seeing her little mouth go "Oh..." when she saw the tree and I told her the presents were her's was priceless. Its a memory that I will carry with me and cherish for the rest of my life. Even when she's grown and married and I'm old and gray I will remember that wide open mouth and big blue eyes as she took it all in. Hopefully I will forget the tantrum she threw when we tried to get her to put the toys that Santa left down and start opening her presents. Hopefully...haha. The day went by so quickly though. And I was so exhausted. Of course, I'm sure that at least part of that is due to the fact that I'm nearly eight months pregnant. And the other part probably has something to do with the fact that we spent nearly 5 hours of our holiday driving. Driving through a snow storm. With a cranky one year old in the back and a somewhat cranky husband in the passenger seat. Josh did drive up the mountain to his parents' but since I spent most of the drive with a death grip on the door and holding my breath anticipating the impending crash, I felt like driving was dramatically less stressful. He and Evie managed to sleep at least part of the drive which probably improved their days some. The only times Josh really woke up were when my cursing or the car's sliding got bad enough. He'd wake up, tell me I was doing a great job when I got the car back under control, and then go back to sleep.

But all in all it was a great Christmas weekend. I lucked out and managed to be off work on Friday, giving me an incredibly rare three day weekend. Evie got a lot of great stuff. Toys, clothes, treats (yes, Santa brought Evie candy...an INCREDIBLY rare event in Evie's life) and more galore. I spent part of Saturday night and Sunday rearranging things and reorganizing Evie's closet to make sure all of her new toys had homes. Even little Elly got some Christmas goodies, which I didn't expect at all but am incredibly appreciative of.

Josh and I got some great gifts as well. I got a much-needed pair of pajamas. I'm at that point in pregnancy where nothing really fits comfortably. I'm humongous and the baby is trying to either break my ribs or pound her way out through my abdomen almost all the time. Watching her knees and hands poke out of my stomach I am repeatedly reminded of that scene in Alien where they're sitting around the table and the alien bursts out. I find myself wondering if any baby has ever managed to escape into the outside world via that route without any surgeons present. Although very little is comfortable anymore, these pajamas are. Part of me would like to live in them for the next couple of months. Josh has a stockpile of video games that should keep him occupied and happy for months to come. Which is what I will remind him of over the next several months when he starts mentioning a new game that he really, really needs to have.

I also got the robotic vacuum that I have been drooling over for years. My house has been vacuumed three times over the last two days and I have learned to make sure the vacuum is always turned off at night. Otherwise you might be awakened by an overly industrious robot at about 3 a.m. as it cleans under your bed. No joke. The vacuum has a setting where it will turn on and resume cleaning the house once the battery is fully charged. Apparently when my daughter was petting the vacuum earlier in the evening she pushed some buttons as well and managed to activate that setting. It took me almost 20 minutes to get the vacuum to come out from under the bed and turn the thing off so I could go back to sleep. I still love the vacuum. And I apologized for cussing it last night. But I will make sure its off at night from now on. 

The weekend was all in all a happy one. Even the weather was a mild bump in the road. The snow was certainly pretty to look at on Sunday, when I wasn't having to go out in it. It was great to get to see all of our family. This was our first holiday with the hubby's family, since this is their first year on the East Coast. It's been suggested that we possibly host the holiday festivities next year since there will be two little munchkins with me and transporting them and all their goodies might be more than my car and sanity can handle. I'm totally down for that. With Christmas behind us, and no plans for New Year's, the next celebration on our family agenda is the sprinkle celebrating little Ellynor's arrival in January. Followed shortly by her birth. Okay, the shortly might be wishful thinking on my part...but there's no harm in hoping right?

No comments:

Post a Comment