Thursday, August 16, 2012

The ASTOUNDING differences

Okay...so astounding might be a bit overstated. Maybe just the most obvious differences. This pregnancy isn't even halfway over and already the differences are pretty impressive.

I hope this doesn't become a whiny post. I really, really don't mean it as whining. Even in the most uncomfortable, I'm ready to have this baby NOW moments, I am ever grateful and appreciative of the miracle of life. I hate hearing those pregnant girls that just bitch and moan about the woes of pregnancy. There are times that being pregnant kinda sucks. I admit that. But please don't use being pregnant as your "Whine about everything" for free card. Of course, I am a little envious of those women who LOVE being pregnant and have no problems. But I try really hard not be one of those whiny ones. Even when I really want to whine!

Of course, every pregnancy is different. I know that. I learned that quite quickly in my second pregnancy. However, looking back, I can see the many similarities between the two pregnancies that this one doesn't have. Maybe I just didn't realize how similar they were until I experienced a TRULY different pregnancy.

One big difference has been the sickness. The only thing I can safely eat for breakfast is Multigrain Cheerios. Greasy stuff is a no-no. Overly sweet stuff is too. No fried bologna. No pancakes. No doughnuts. At least not on an empty stomach. If I eat something else first, then slightly greasy or a little sweet is manageable. Usually, I just stick with my cheerios.

For the first 9 weeks, I wasn't too sick in the mornings, but I got nauseous every afternoon around 2 p.m. and it would last a couple of hours. Then it disappeared. I got my energy back. Felt great. So good, that I called my doctor's office, embarrassed but concerned. Was it okay that I felt better already? The nurse assured me that it was.

Two weeks later however, that sickness came back with a vengeance. I spent an entire 24 hour period unable to keep food or water down. It sucked. It took nearly a week to learn to manage the sickness, between eating only certain foods and avoiding an empty stomach, focusing on protein and sucking on Preggie Pop Drops when I felt woozy. I still suffer from the nausea if I don't watch myself. If I get too hungry or eat the wrong stuff. But I haven't actually thrown up in about 2 weeks now. So, the Preggie Pop Drops are working.

I don't know if this sickness is going to go away or not. Hopefully once the baby is born I can get back to normal at least.  But for now I'm 14.5 weeks pregnant and still suffering from "morning" sickness.

Another difference has been my skin. With the previous pregnancies, I had a pretty major breakout the first couple of weeks after finding out I was pregnant. Weeks 4-6 or 8, I was back in my teenage years when I looked in the mirror. But then it went away! And for the next 6 months or so, I had glowing, healthy pregnancy skin! Also, my typical skin problems, like my eczema and dry skin, were nonexistent during my pregnancies. My hair was luxurious and stopped shedding. It was so healthy and pretty the whole pregnancy!

This time, my skin has continued to be awful. And my hair is so dry and brittle! I have had to return to the acne aisle and reinvest in face washes and scrubs that I used in adolescence. I've had to stop using previous lotions because they were just making the situation worse. With new lotions and washes, I have got it somewhat under control. But my face is definitely not the same as it was 6 months ago. And I don't know what to do for my hair. Just, trying to get through it I guess.

I've also been suffering from constant congestion this time around. My nose always feels a bit stuffy. I know allergies have already started up, and I have been dealing with those some as well. Last week, the allergy drainage turned into a sinus infection which then lead to a chest cold/cough. FUN! But even without the allergies, I have this continuous stuffy-headed feeling. It's a bit weird. I feel okay most of the time, and if I blow my nose nothing happens, but I just feel congested.

This time there has also been insomnia. For the first couple of months, I couldn't keep my eyes open past lunch time it seemed. By the time I got the girls home and in the bed, I was out. But now, I will lie awake until 2 or 3 a.m. and then wake up exhausted at 7 a.m. unless I take something. I tried exercising early in the day. Staying active to burn enough energy to be tired. Tried chamomile tea. Tried various sleep situations. The problem wasn't being tired. I was exhausted! Was all I could do to get the girls to bed and get myself ready for bed. The moment I climbed under the sheets however, I was WIDE awake. I spoke with my OB and she seemed pretty comfortable with me taking a Benadryl at night to help me sleep. Of course, I have such a wussy tolerance for meds, I can't take a full dose of Benadryl. I can't even take half a dose! I take a quarter dose, or half a Benadryl, to help me sleep. That way I'm able to sleep about 8 hours at night.

So far, weight gain has been slow but steady, which is a nice difference. I look slightly pregnant in maternity stuff, but if I wear something baggy, I mostly look a lil chubby in the middle. The baby has continued to measure about a week ahead and I'm anxious for him/her to get to those big kicks and flips and twists. Despite the many challenges, I feel good. Only 4 more weeks until the BIG ultrasound. It will be so nice to be at the halfway point in the pregnancy, know the baby's gender and see that everything is okay with the baby.

Everyone says that with all the differences in the this pregnancy, it just HAS to be a boy! But we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment