Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Day in My Life

I am frequently told by people, "I just don't know how you do it!" Well, I don't know what choice I have. I suppose I could sit down and cry. Some days, that is a very tempting alternative. But I don't really know what people mean. What exactly is it that I do that is so hard to believe?

For some, working full-time with a trio of preschoolers seems difficult. But I don't see that. Many days, work is a nice escape from the roaring din of my home. Some nights, I even get a small reprieve to read a book when nothing is going on. My job, while frequently stressful, definitely takes my mind off the stresses of home and gives me something to be proud of. Something with a very concrete beginning and end. A contrast to the seemingly never-ending day-in day-out routine of life with little people.

For others, it is merely balancing the maintaining of a home with the care of multiple helpless youth. It is challenging, but there it is the monotony and predictability of a daily routine that is our saving grace. Usually, if I'm feeling frazzled by bickering babies I can merely glance at a clock and lo, it's time for a snack! What does everyone want for a snack? Let's go check the pantry! And alas! Everyone's mood takes a dramatic upswing because they have a new focus. Plus, the kick to the ole blood sugar doesn't hurt.

But if you have always wondered what my days look like, here goes...

7:17 a.m.

*chick* *chick* *chick* *chick*

What on earth is that sound? Ugh. Whatever it is I'm going back to sleep.

"Momma? Momma. Momma!" That's Buffy. On the baby monitor. So much for back to sleep.

Up. Dogs out. Bed made. Utilize the two-way feature on our baby monitor, "Buffy, Momma will be up in just a minute baby."

Cat fed. Load of laundry in the dryer. Next load in the wash. Grab a new pack of waffles out of the downstairs freezer. Thank goodness for this freezer. Thank goodness for giant boxes of delicious waffles from Costco. Dogs back in. Trudge up the stairs and into the nursery.

"Good morning, darling. How's Buffy?"

A happy baby dancing in her crib. Turn off the sound machine and scoop her up.

"Eww. Baby. You need a diaper!"

*chick chick chick* Sound identified. Apparently Buffy's My Pal Violet dog needs new batteries. Put that on the list. I'm not sure she'll sleep without it. Change the baby. Meanwhile, two more girls have woke up. Greetings exchanged.

"Momma, I want a waffle for breakfast," Elly says.

"Sure thing baby."

"I want cereal."

"That's fine Evie. Go ahead and grab your cereal and a bowl."

I toss three waffles in the toaster. Start it. Turn on the Keurig. Help Evie pour her cereal. Grab two clean cups out of the dishwasher, fill Elly's with milk. Grab me a bowl. Fill my bowl with cereal. Mmm, mini wheats. Add milk to two bowls of cereal and return it to the fridge (though not before first putting it in the pantry and realizing my mistake. Oops!) Put the cereal in the pantry. Chat with Elly who patiently waits for a waffle, argue with Evie who has now decided she wants a waffle and try to calm Buffy who is absolutely starving to death and cannot wait another second for anything. Period. All while emptying the dishwasher. Start a cup of coffee (mmmm, coffee!). Pull out three waffles. Toss two on the high chair and another on a plate.

"Momma, can I have two?"

"I'll have to cook another one. Do you mind waiting?"

"No. I can wait. I will eat this one while the next one cooks."

"I want one too Momma," Evie adds.

Help Buffy into her highchair and grab a sippy cup of milk from the fridge. So glad that was already filled. Put butter on Elly's waffle. Start two more. Cut Elly's up. Add syrup. Grab me a spoon and my coffee. Take my bowl and mug to the table. Blah, my cereal is all soggy. Grab the creamer from the fridge and add a splash to my cup. Replace it and start to sit.

"Momma, you forgot to get me something to drink."

"Evie, is that how you ask for a drink?"

"Momma, can I please have something to drink?"

"That's a little better. Yes ma'am."

Grab Evie a cup and fill it halfway with water and add a little juice.

"Thank you Momma."

"You're welcome."

I get a few bites of cereal before the toaster dings. Buffy is still going to town but Elly has finished her first waffle. Fix up two more waffles with butter and syrup and cut them up. Grab Evie a fork. They're both eating so I sit back down and finish my cereal. Most of the way through my coffee Buffy decides she's done. I help her down and hand her what's left of her waffle to munch on. I hate doing it, but she refuses to stay seated for long. The therapist says it's part of her SPD. She's improved a little. But for now, the only way to really get her to eat is to let her tote it around sometimes. Evie and Elly are also done. They run down the hall to play and bound back into the living room with arms full of stuffed animals and toys. Next the Legos are out and they're building houses for dinosaurs and airplanes and trains. Buffy plays as best she can. Inevitably, she ends up knocking down someone's house and there is yelling and crying. I try to stay out of the minor scuffles. But I regularly remind them, "Girls, share," "Girls, let Buffy play too," "Buffy, stop being ugly," etc.

Cereal and coffee done. Rinse out everyone's bowls and put all the dishes in the dishwasher. Wipe off the table and the bar. Scoop up Buffy, once more crying over something her sister's have done. Feed the dogs. Take Buffy to let her pick out an outfit and get her dressed. Elly is so impressed with the skirt that her baby has picked out that she insists on wearing a dress. And of course since the other two are in dresses, Evie must have one as well.

Dresses picked out. Girls getting dressed and making their beds. Picking up their rooms. Meanwhile, I wash my face and Buffy goes about tearing out all the toys in her toy box. Oh well! At least she's happy.

8:24 a.m.

Plop down on the couch and call my mom. Short conversation about the morning's plans, whether or not she has arrowroot powder (I'm trying a new lotion recipe), discussing the upcoming birthday party and other weekend activities. Then babies are fussing over dinosaurs and well, I gotta go! Playing with the kids and getting the diaper bag out and everything ready.

9:08 a.m.

Dogs out. Make sure the dryer is off. Get dressed. Dogs in and then crated. Empty the dehumidifier. Back upstairs.

"Girls, get some shoes on. And help me pick up."

Screaming commences.

"I don't care who got it all out. Yes, you can leave your special house out. Just set it up. Evie, get that dinosaur out of the floor. Make sure everything is up."

Help them pick up all their toys, pick up rugs and things. Help the girls pick out shoes. Grab the Roomba and plop it in the living room and start it. Grab the diaper bag and scoop up the baby (who still isn't wearing shoes. Gotta remember those.) Remind girls to grab an animal and their kindles and we all head to the car. Open the girls' door and while they climb in I walk around and put Buffy in her seat. Toss in the bag. Walk back around and check the girls' seat belts. Hand them their kindles and get them situated. Back into the house. Grab my purse and a handful of snacks. Fill up a water bottle and a sippy cup. Glance at the clock...

9:49 a.m.

Crap. Ten minutes until we're supposed to be in Dobson. Oh well. Door locked. Back to the car. Dump a package of fruit snacks into Buffy's cup holder. Hop in. Off to D-town.

10:12 a.m.

Find a spot at the church.

"Kindles off girls."

"Mine's off Momma. But Elly won't turn her's off."

"Momma, do you wanna see my picture?" Elly asks.

"Yes, baby. I do!"

Keys in one pocket. Phone in another. Climb into the back. Look at Elly's kindle, undo three 5-point harnesses. Help Buffy out of her seat and remind Evie to wait and let me get out first.

"Remember, Evie. We're in a parking lot."

Climb out. Close doors.

"Elly, hold my hand. Evie, you hold Elly's." Then we're off across the parking lot and up on the sidewalk. "Yes, Evie you can let go now." Sweet Elly doesn't let go. She doesn't usually.

Signed in and inside, we find a seat. We're late so they're limited. Buffy on my lap and Evie and Elly sharing a seat. We watch the reptile show. It's very interesting. Even wrestling a toddler and reminding the older ones to be quiet and sit still and stop fighting. All while trying to talk to them about what we're seeing, "Wow, look how big that toad is," "Do you see that lizard?" "Wow, bearded dragons are kinda pretty, huh?" and on. The program ends with us getting to pet a 19-year-old Carpet Boa named Hamish. Buffy isn't the least bit interested in touching the snake. But the others love it.

11:15 a.m.

Back out of the building.

"Girls, hold hands. Elly, you should let Evie hold your hand. That's so mean."

We're back to the car and the bigs are climbing in. I carry Buffy, who is now getting a little tired, back to her seat.

"Anyone want a snack?" Jubilant cries. "Girls, want fruitie snacks? Buff, you want some peanut butter crackers?" More jubilant cries.

 Everyone strapped in. Check seat belts. Snacks distributed. Off to my mom's to pick up arrowroot.

"I gotta pee!" Evie yells.

"Me too, Evie. We'll be there in a few minutes."

11:24 a.m.

Ma's house. Everyone out. Help everyone onto the porch and into the house. Everyone through the bathroom. Girls into the playroom dragging out toys and squealing. Spend some time talking to my mom. Get my arrowroot.

"Alright girls. Time to go home. Pick up the play room."

Help with cleaning up. Girls back into the car. (How many times a day can I work a 5-point harness? Seriously.)

11:54 a.m.

Back on the road. Frozen CD going. Girls playing kindles. Buffy asleep.

12:17 p.m.

Back home. A pile of boxes on the porch. (Yay eBay!)

"What's that Momma?"

"Christmas presents."

"Really? For us?"

"Yeah. Should be. Hopefully those are the clothes I got you guys."

Unloading the car and getting girls inside and getting lunches made and people fed and trying to get myself fed as well.

*****

Are you bored yet? Yeah. It's not terribly exciting. Five hours. Of the typical 14 hour days, it's pretty much this on repeat. Meal, clean up, play, clean up. Snack, clean up, play, clean up. Meal, clean up, NAPS (my fav!). Snacks, clean up, play, clean up. Supper, clean up, baths, play, clean up. Bed. Fun fun fun.

It's a blessed boring life. I love it even when I want to hide in a closet and cry. I may not love it at the time. I may not like it or enjoy it. Some days I yell and I feel bad. Some days I threaten beatings (which I never, ever follow through on, I promise!) and I feel bad. Some days I feel like I don't get to do anything other than clean up their messes and try and salvage my sanity (and do a piss poor job of it) and I feel bad. But there are some days when things go well and there's a wonderful flow and by the time we all go to bed that I night I feel all aglow with how spectacular my kids are and how wonderfully blessed I am to be their momma.

When the day is coming to an end and I put the girls to bed, I always talk to them about their day. They always have good things to say, so I take that to mean it wasn't as bad as it felt. We always talk about something they want to do the next day and I sing them their special song (they each have their own) and tuck them in. It's prayers and kisses and good night and sweet dreams. It's sneaking in before I go to bed and pushing their hair back from their faces and thank God for these precious children. I straighten their blankets and make sure their animals are near their hands and I ask Him to help me be the momma they deserve.

When I look back, years from now, I know this time in our lives will have flown by. I always try to remind myself of that. Try to savor the hours and the days. Even amid the tantrums and the messes. The attitudes and the uproar and bickering. Remember the sweet moments. The times they hold my hand or pipe up a "Momma, I love you" out of nowhere. Savor them. Love them. After all, it's only a day in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment